churchsketchHistory

The original Methodist Church located at the corner of Pine and Freedley Streets was dedicated in 1920. It was named the Oak Street Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church, in honor of Bishop Francis Asbury, the first Methodist bishop in America. The facility was enlarged in 1955-1956 with a new sanctuary and portions of the old church were remodeled into classrooms. Asbury is a friendly church with a proud past and a growing future as it ministers to the congregation and to the larger community.

 

 

RoseWindow
Stained Glass Windows

The windows in our church were installed in 1956 by Willets Studio of Philadelphia. All of the glass is English in origin. The craftsmanship and imagery of the windows is worth a closer examination. For example, the Rose Window above the altar depicts the Passion of the Lord Jesus Christ through an overall theme with the Crown of Thorns.


 
© 2018 Asbury United Methodist Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community